Saturday, March 8, 2014

an update.

We've been having a hard time getting life back to 'normal' around here.

On Thursday, I got a call from the doctor who delivered Brooklyn in California. The results from her chromosomal test came back (I didn't even realize they were doing any testing) and it turns out she had Down Syndrome. A rare form of Down Syndrome, at that. Nobody had any idea. She didn't look like she had it.

Sterling and I have to get some genetic testing done to see if one of us is a carrier, so we can know how future pregnancies could be affected. My doctor here said that there could be a 50/50 chance of Down's in future pregnancies if one of us is a carrier. We don't know anything for sure and we won't until we get the testing done and see a genetics counselor, so I'm trying (and kind of failing) to not get too worked up over it yet. There's always the chance that it was a completely random, isolated event, also. And no, the Down's shouldn't have caused the labor or abruption. Dr. Jones (in CA) said there's always the small chance it could have, but there's no scientific evidence finding a connection between the two. Both my doctors still attribute it to stress.

On another note, I've been having a lot of pain in my right abdomen all week. I finally called my doctor Thursday and he had me come in right away. I had an extensive ultrasound done yesterday, but I won't hear back until Monday. In the meantime, I'm staying drugged up on Percocet and extra-strength ibuprofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment